Free Motion Quilting Weekend with Christina Cameli, Saturday and Sunday, January 27 and 28, 10-1 pm
Skill level: Beginner, ages 18 and up.
Enjoy a free-motion weekend stitching beaustiful textures with author and quilter Christina Cameli. Jump in on day one learning the basics, and then come back the next day to play with several versatile, beginner friendly designs. You’ll get plenty of time stitching, as well as sketching, and leave ready to use your new skills at home to finish your own quilt tops.
• Thread (I recommend aurifil, choose a color to contrast with your fat quarters)
• Quilting gloves
• Temporary fabric marker
• Curved basting pins (package of 100. If you prefer you can use spray baste at home to baste your quilt sandwiches: fat quarter-batting-muslin, but no spray basting in the classroom please)
• Notebook for sketching
• Pen for sketching
• Book: First Steps to Free-Motion Quilting by Christina Cameli, Stash Books, 2013. Look over the first two chapters before class if you can.
• 3 fat quarters (solids are best for new quilters)
• 3 pieces of batting 20” x 24” each
• 3 pieces of muslin 20” x 24” each
Please note: This class will taught on our BERNINA classroom sewing machines. If you would like to bring your own machine please let us know so we can talk about feet!
All supplies are available for purchase at Modern Domestic.
Please purchase supplies in advance of your class. If you plan to shop for supplies the day of your class we recommend arriving at least 30 minutes early.
What is a “Beginner” level class at Modern Domestic?
You’ve taken a class or two and are starting to get comfortable with the basics. You know what a seam allowance is, you’ve sewn a little on your own, but you still need a little help with remembering how to thread the machine and wind a bobbin. These classes usually have little if any homework to complete outside of class time. The prerequisite for any Beginner class is a Sew Basics class, Learn to Sew class, or equivalent. This skill level is not for people who have never used a sewing machine before.