CLASS FULL Design and Sew a Custom Tote Bag with Ellie Lum, Saturday, December 9, 10 am - 5:00 pm
Skill Level: Beginner, ages 18 and up
Design and sew a custom tote bag with Ellie Lum in this creative one-day workshop! Customize your tote size, pockets, handles, and construction details and build your bag from start to finish. Ellie will help you make your perfect tote for any occasion: whether you need an everyday bag for all your essentials, a rugged tote for your laptop or school supplies, or a fancy tote for a night out.
In this class we will work off of two sample bags made especially to showcase the customizable features & materials you will choose from to design & sew your custom tote. Add zip pockets, leather details, snap closures and more! The possibilities are at your fingertips to design the perfect custom tote bag for your needs & lifestyle.
The first part of class will consist of a design lab, where we will discuss design considerations, material choices, shape, size, and pockets — all while designing your own tote. Then we will take a lunch/shopping break, where you will purchase the needed materials to make your tote. Lastly, Ellie will guide you through the process of cutting, and sewing your design into creation.
• Pattern Required: There are two options for the pattern. The one you choose will depend on the decisions you make during the design lab portion of class.
— Option A- Oberlin Tote with Leather Straps by KLUM HOUSE
— Option B- Oberlin Tote with Canvas Straps by KLUM HOUSE
• 1 yard fabric for main body, base, and straps (if not using leather). Use a medium to heavyweight textile for main fabric, such as canvas, waxed canvas or denim.
• 1/3 yard fabric for pockets. Use a medium-weight fabric for pockets, such as cotton, Japanese cotton, linen, denim, quilting cotton, etc.
• Mettler Metrosene All Purpose thread to match
• Leather or 1” or 1-1/4” Cotton Webbing for Straps
• 6” x 6” piece of soft leather for strap handles detail (optional)
• 4 metal brads for attaching leather straps
• Schmetz Leather needles
• Schmetz Denim needles
• Magnetic purse snap
• 8” brass zipper
All supplies are available for purchase at Modern Domestic.
What is a “Beginner” class at Modern Domestic?
You’ve taken a class or two and are starting to get comfortable with the basics. You know what a seam allowance is, you’ve sewn a little on your own, but you still need a little help with remembering how to thread the machine and wind a bobbin. These classes usually have little if any homework to complete outside of class time. The prerequisite for any Beginner class is a Sew Basics class, Learn to Sew class, or equivalent. This skill level is not for people who have never sewn before.