CLASS FULL Jeans, Wednesdays, May 10, 17, 24, 31, & June 7, 6-9 pm
Skill Level: Intermediate, ages 18 and up
These flattering stretch jeans have a slim fit through the hips and thigh and a flared leg. You will have the option of making a pair with a regular rise or a low rise, and can choose between the flared leg or altering your pattern pieces for a straight leg. You will learn how to measure and adjust your pattern pieces to achieve a good fit for your body, how to sew a zip fly with button closure, how to install pockets and a waistband, and how to add finishing details for a professional look. This class will require approximately 2 to 3 hours of homework between sessions. Class prerequisite requires at least Advanced Beginner level sewing experience, including experience sewing from a pattern. Previous experience sewing pants is not necessary.
• Jalie Pattern 2908 Stretch Jeans (Note: If you are making men's jeans, you will need to purchase Kwik Sew pattern K3504. That pattern is designed for non-stretch denim, but if you would like to use stretch that is fine.)
• Stretch denim in yardage required for size desired, pre washed. NOTE: I recommend washing and drying your denim AT LEAST THREE TIMES before class. Stretch denim is required for this pattern, which means your fabric must include some percentage of spandex or lycra. The pattern recommends 4% stretch but that will result in VERY stretchy jeans, so I recommend a lower lycra content (2% or 3% if possible).
• 1/4 yard pocket lining fabric (recommend cotton lawn, voile, lightweight shirting or quilting cotton)
• 3/4 yard fusible interfacing (recommend Shape-Flex)
• Metal jeans zipper
• One jeans button
• Six jeans rivets
• Swedish Tracing Paper
• Thread (recommend two spools Mettler Metrosene.)
BEFORE YOUR FIRST CLASS: Please come to your first class with your pattern pieces traced. If you need help figuring out what size or sizes to trace, or how to grade between sizes, email email@example.com about connecting prior to class to get your questions answered on this very important step. We will check your measurements in class and adjust your traced pieces if needed. Please bring your original pattern and tracing paper to the first session in case we need to make adjustments to your traced pieces. I will have you baste your traced pieces together in order to do a paper fitting in class. Ladies, you will need to wear or bring leggings, spandex pants, or dark tights to the first session (something snug you would feel comfortable having others see you in without another garment over it. Guys, if you could wear bicycle shorts, long johns, or leggings for the fitting portion, that would be great. I will be happy to step into the restroom with you for privacy's sake if you don't want to do the fitting portion in view of the rest of the class. Once we have adjusted your traced pieces as needed we will cut fabric together during class.
All supplies are available for purchase at Modern Domestic.
Please purchase supplies in advance of your class. If you plan to shop for supplies the day of your class we recommend arriving at least 30 minutes early.
What is an “Intermediate” level class at Modern Domestic?
You’re no longer intimidated by the idea of reading a pattern and comfortable reading a pattern and have made a number of projects. You would like to learn different methods of zipper installation or how to alter your patterns. You’re venturing into more complicated patterns (e.g., lined garments, plackets, collars, zippered fly). Classes are faster paced and require homework.