Moss Skirt, Thursdays, November 30, December 7, and 14, 6-8:30 pm
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner, ages 18 and up.
The Moss is a semi-fitted skirt that sits slightly below the natural waist and works up well in a variety of fabrics, from denim to wool to corduroy and many fabrics in-between. Skirt features a fly front and button closure as well as a yoke at the back. If mini isn’t quite your style, add the hem band to create the longer silhouette of View B or use a second fabric for a bit of contrast. You’ll learn how to adjust a pattern to fit your body measurements, how to create a fly front zipper, and how to finish edges with a serger. Note: There may be homework in between sessions of this class.
• Moss Skirt pattern by Grainline Studio.
• Fabric required for size and style desired, pre-washed. Suggested Fabrics: Medium to heavy weight fabrics such as denim, twill, cotton or wool. Generally anything described as “bottom weight.” Extra fabric is needed to match plaids, stripes or one-way design fabrics.
• 3/8 yard light- to medium-weight cotton for pocket lining
• Swedish Tracing Paper
• 7” zipper
• 1-1/4 yard Shape-flex fusible interfacing
• 1 button, 5/8”
• Thread - recommend Metter Metrosene
All supplies are available for purchase at Modern Domestic.
Please purchase supplies in advance of your class. If you plan to shop for supplies the day of your class we recommend arriving at least 30 minutes early.
What is an “Advanced Beginner” class at Modern Domestic?
You have a good handle on the basics and are ready to dip your toe into more challenging waters. You’re still fairly new to sewing from patterns and could use help with how to manipulate the pattern to get a better fit. You want to add some new skills to your repertoire (invisible zippers, setting-in sleeves, sewing with a serger, etc.). Classes generally require homework.