T-Shirts, Wednesdays, March 22 and 29, 6-9 pm
Skill Level: Beginner, ages 18 and up.
In this class you will make everybody's favorite wardrobe staple – a t-shirt! You will gain confidence and skills working with knit fabric on both a BERNINA sewing machine and serger. You'll learn how to create a professional looking hem using a coverstitch machine and how to adjust a pattern to fit your body measurements. You'll make the v-neck version with your choice of sleeve length, or learn to alter your pattern to make it a scoop neck.
• Jalie Women's T-Shirt Pattern #2805 (if you would like to make a Men's T-Shirt, you will need Jalie Pattern #2918)
• Jersey knit fabric in yardage required for Version C in size and sleeve-length desired, prewashed
• Two coordinating cones of Maxi Lock serger thread
• Swedish Tracing Paper
• All-Purpose Polyester thread (recommend Metrosene)
• Wash Away Wonder Tape (not needed if you are making the scoop neck version)
Note: You will be using Modern Domestic's classroom sergers and coverstitch machines for this class. If you choose to bring your own machine, please make sure you are familiar with how to use it.
All supplies are available for purchase at Modern Domestic.
Please purchase supplies in advance of your class. If you plan to shop for supplies the day of your class we recommend arriving at least 30 minutes early.
What is a “Beginner” class at Modern Domestic?
You’ve taken a class or two and are starting to get comfortable with the basics. You know what a seam allowance is, you’ve sewn a little on your own, but you still need a little help with remembering how to thread the machine and wind a bobbin. These classes usually have little if any homework to complete outside of class time. The prerequisite for any Beginner class is a Sew Basics class, Learn to Sew class, or equivalent. This skill level is not for people who have never used a sewing machine before.