Waxed Canvas Zipper Tote, Wednesdays, December 20 and 27, 6-9 pm
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner, Ages 18 and up.
With a zippered closure, six external pockets, a zippered internal pocket, and a generously-sized main compartment, this bag is incredibly useful for carrying all kinds of things. It is fully lined, and the waxed-canvas exterior makes for a water-resistant, rugged bag that will last. You’ll learn how to work with heavier fabrics on a sewing machine, how to handle waxed canvas, how to construct a lining, box corners, install zippers and how to edgestitch and topstitch for a professional-looking finished product.
• Bag Main fabric (waxed or regular canvas, 52-60” wide): ⅝ yard
• Bag Bottom fabric (waxed or regular canvas, 52-60” wide): ½ yard
• Bag Lining fabric (quilting cotton, 44” wide): ⅝” yard
• Pocket Lining fabric (quilting cotton): one fat quarter
• 9” regular coil zipper for interior pocket
• 16” coil separating zipper for closure (these are also called jacket zippers)
• Fusible Fleece: ½ yard
• 1.5” wide webbing for straps: 3 ½ yards
• coordinating or contrasting thread
• Size 100 Jean/Denim needles
All supplies are available for purchase at Modern Domestic.
Please purchase supplies in advance of your class. If you plan to shop for supplies the day of your class we recommend arriving at least 30 minutes early.
What is an “Advanced Beginner” class at Modern Domestic?
You have a good handle on the basics and are ready to dip your toe into more challenging waters. You’re still fairly new to sewing from patterns and could use help with how to manipulate the pattern to get a better fit. You want to add some new skills to your repertoire (invisible zippers, setting-in sleeves, sewing with a serger, etc.). Classes generally require homework.