Boxed Cushion, Saturday, May 20, 1-6 pm
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner, ages 18 and up.
Stitch up a professional-looking piped boxed cushion from scratch! Join expert Heather Davidson, of Remnant PDX, for all-day home dec workshop. You'll learn how to make and sew your own piping, measure and cut your fabric for all cushion sizes, sew a boxed piped cushion cover with zipper, and properly stuff your cushion.
Please Note: Maximum cushion size for this class is 22" x 22”.
• Box Cushion Class Kit *Includes upholstery zipper and Dacron
• 1½ yards of sturdy fabric, such as canvas or upholstery weight.
• Coordinating spool of all-purpose thread, such as Mettler Metrosene Plus.
• 7 yards of 6/32” filler cord (for piping)
• Foam: available at In-Ex Upholstery (615 SE Clay St., Portland, Or 97214). They will cut the foam to your desired dimensions. For seat cushions get the blue 1845 foam. For a back cushion you’ll need 1818 foam, which is softer. Email us if you have any questions!
• Wonder Clips
• Wash-Away Wonder Tape
• Size 110/18 Universal Needles
All supplies are available for purchase at Modern Domestic.
Please purchase supplies in advance of your class. If you plan to shop for supplies the day of your class we recommend arriving at least 30 minutes early.
What is an “Advanced Beginner” Class at Modern Domestic?
You have a good handle on the basics and are ready to dip your toe into more challenging waters. You’re still fairly new to sewing from patterns and could use help with how to manipulate the pattern to get a better fit. You want to add some new skills to your repertoire (invisible zippers, setting-in sleeves, sewing with a serger, etc.). Classes generally require homework.