Box Cushion, Saturday, March 3, 2-6 pm
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner, ages 18 and up.
Stitch up a professional-looking boxed cushion from scratch! This simplified cushion is quick and easy. You'll learn how to measure and cut your fabric for other cushion sizes, sew a boxed cushion cover with zipper, and properly stuff your cushion. You’ll leave with a custom cushion and the confidence to work with heavier fabrics on a sewing machine.
Please Note: Maximum cushion size for this class is 20” x 20” x 3”
• 20” x 20” x 3” Dacron-wrapped Foam #2255: This can be purchased at In-Ex Upholstery/Foam 615 SE Clay St. Portland (503) 235-0614. Hours M-F 10-3
*Please call/email us if you have any questions!
• Upholstery zipper *This will be supplied by instructor for purchase at Modern Domestic
• 1½ yards of sturdy fabric, such as canvas or upholstery weight cotton or cotton/linen blends.
• Coordinating spool of all-purpose thread, such as Mettler Metrosene Plus.
• Wonder Clips
• Wash-Away Wonder Tape
• Size 100 or 110 Universal Needles
All supplies are available for purchase at Modern Domestic.
Please purchase supplies in advance of your class and pre-wash your fabric. If you plan to shop for supplies the day of your class we recommend arriving at least 30 minutes early, but your fabric might shrink if not pre-washed.
What is an “Advanced Beginner” class at Modern Domestic?
You have a good handle on the basics and are ready to dip your toe into more challenging waters. You’re still fairly new to sewing from patterns and could use help with how to manipulate the pattern to get a better fit. You want to add some new skills to your repertoire (invisible zippers, setting-in sleeves, sewing with a serger, etc.). Classes generally require homework.