Learn to Quilt: Double Star Quilt, Alberta St. Store, Thursdays, December 20, 27, January 3 & 10, 6-8:30 pm
Skill Level: Beginner, ages 18 and up.
The Double Star Quilt's large scale, eight pointed star motif blends modern and traditional aesthetics. It is a beginner friendly, fun and fast paced quilt. This quilt is the perfect size for a baby quilt, wall hanging, or little lap quilt. You will learn techniques fundamental to quilt making, including rotary cutting, piecing, pressing, trimming blocks, making a quilt sandwich, quilting with a walking foot, and finishing the quilt with binding. Leave with the confidence and excitement to start your next quilt immediately!
There will be homework between sessions and you are welcome to use our classroom space as it is available to work on your projects.
• Pattern: Double Star Quilt by Fancy Tiger Crafts, Baby/Throw Size 54” x 54”
• Quilt Top: 4 fat quarters (star, mix of darks or lights), ten 1/3 yard cuts (background, mix of lights or darks)
• Quilt Binding: 1/2 yard quilting cotton
• Quilt Backing: 2-5/8 yards quilting cotton
• 1 package of Quilters Dream deluxe batting, throw size (60 x 60”)
• I spool of Mettler cotton silk finish thread
• 100 curved safety pins
All supplies are available for purchase at Modern Domestic.
What is a “Beginner” class at Modern Domestic?
You’ve taken a class or two and are starting to get comfortable with the basics. You know what a seam allowance is, you’ve sewn a little on your own, but you still need a little help with remembering how to thread the machine and wind a bobbin. These classes usually have little if any homework to complete outside of class time. The prerequisite for any Beginner class is a Sew Basics class, Learn to Sew class, or equivalent. This skill level is not for people who have never used a sewing machine before.