Oberlin Tote Workshop with Ellie Lum, Saturday, March 24, 11 am - 5 pm
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner, ages 18 and up
Make the Oberlin Market Tote Bag with Ellie Lum of Klum House in this 5 hour sewing workshop! Not only will you go home with a tote that you made start-to-finish with your own two hands, you will also learn indispensable bag sewing techniques such as working with hardware, sewing zippers, constructing french seams, and sewing through multiple layers of fabric. This modern, rugged design has leather straps attached with strong metal brads, french seams, an inside hanging pocket, and a magnetic snap. Some prior sewing experience required.
• Pattern: The Oberlin Tote by Klum House
• 1 yard fabric for main body, base, and straps. Use a medium to heavyweight textile for main fabric, such as canvas, waxed canvas or denim.
• 1/3 yard fabric for pockets. Use a medium-weight fabric for pockets, such as cotton, Japanese cotton, linen, denim, quilting cotton, etc.
• Mettler Metrosene All Purpose thread to match
• Schmetz Denim needles size 90 or 100
• Klum House Tote Finishing Hardware Kit (includes leather straps, rivets, magnetic snap and 8” brass zipper
* or purchase the following supplies separately:
• 2 leather straps 28” x 34”
• 8 metal brads for attaching leather straps
• Magnetic purse snap
• 8” brass zipper
All supplies are available for purchase at Modern Domestic.
What is an “Advanced Beginner” class at Modern Domestic?
You have a good handle on the basics and are ready to dip your toe into more challenging waters. You’re still fairly new to sewing from patterns and could use help with how to manipulate the pattern to get a better fit. You want to add some new skills to your repertoire (invisible zippers, setting-in sleeves, sewing with a serger, etc.). Classes generally require homework.