Southport Dress, Wednesdays August 29, September 5 & 12, 6 - 8:30 pm
Level: Advanced Beginner
The Southport dress is a tank style dress with a button opening at center front and a drawstring waist with inseam pockets. You will choose your desired length, View A is knee length and View B is a maxi with a center front slit. You will learn how to adjust a pattern to fit your body measurements, how to make buttonholes and sew buttons on by machine, and how to construct inseam pockets.
- Pattern - Southport Dress by True/Bias
- Fabric in yardage required for size and length desired, pre-washed. Recommend light weight, woven fabrics with movement such as cotton voile, rayon challis, crepe de chine, and lightweight linen.
- 1 package single fold bias tape (or 3 yards)
- 1/4 yard Shapeflex Fusible Interfacing
- Four 3/8” buttons
- Swedish Tracing Paper
- 1 spool Mettler Metrosene All Purpose thread
All supplies are available for purchase at Modern Domestic.
Please purchase supplies in advance of your class. Make sure to pre-wash your fabric in advance of class. This prevents possible fabric shrinkage that could otherwise make your finished garment too small. If you plan to shop for supplies the day of your class we recommend arriving at least 30 minutes early.
What is an “Advanced Beginner” class at Modern Domestic?
You have a good handle on the basics and are ready to dip your toe into more challenging waters. You’re still fairly new to sewing from patterns and could use help with how to manipulate the pattern to get a better fit. You want to add some new skills to your repertoire (invisible zippers, setting-in sleeves, sewing with a serger, etc.). Classes generally require homework.