CLASS IN SESSION Pullover Hoodie, Thursdays, December 5 & 12, 6-9 pm
Skill level: Advanced Beginner, Ages 15 and up.
This cozy pull-over hooded sweatshirt features set-in sleeves with banded cuffs, a kangaroo pocket and hood. You’ll learn how to work with knit fabric, how to make pattern adjustments to fit your body measurements, and how to seam a garment on a serger and complete finishing details on a sewing machine!
• Pattern required: Jalie 3355
• Fabric required for size desired, prewashed. Recommend medium-weight knits with a minimum of 10% stretch such as French terry, sweatshirt fleece, sweater knits, and jersey.
• 1/4 yard ribbing for cuffs and hem (Pattern calls for 1/8 yard but it is not enough!) If ribbing fabric is less than 30” wide, get a 1/2 yard. Note: most sweatshirt fleece is not stretchy enough for cuffs and hem bands. If you plan to use non-ribbing for the cuffs, hem, and neckband, make sure it is very stretchy.
• Schmetz Ballpoint/Jersey needles size 80/12
• Two coordinating serger cone threads
• Swedish Tracing Paper
Note: You will be using Modern Domestic's classroom sergers for this class. If you choose to bring your own machine, please make sure you are familiar with how to use it.
All supplies are available for purchase at Modern Domestic.
Please purchase supplies in advance of your class. If you plan to shop for supplies the day of your class we recommend arriving at least 45 minutes early.
What is an “Advanced Beginner” class at Modern Domestic?
You have a good handle on the basics and are ready to dip your toe into more challenging waters. You’re still fairly new to sewing from patterns and could use help with how to manipulate the pattern to get a better fit. You want to add some new skills to your repertoire (invisible zippers, setting-in sleeves, sewing with a serger, etc.). Classes generally require homework.