IN-PERSON Strata Top, Alberta St. Store, Fridays, May 27th & June 3rd, 5-8pm
Ages 15 and Up
The Strata Top pattern is the backbone of your handmade wardrobe and a great pattern for beginners. With just three different pattern pieces, Strata comes together quickly and simply. This class will cover important skills for beginner garment sewers like taking measurements and choosing size, cutting out fabric, finishing raw edges on a serger and small alterations to fit your idea of the pattern.
Please purchase supplies in advance of your class. Make sure to pre-wash your fabric in advance of class. This prevents possible fabric shrinkage that could otherwise make your finished garment too small.
- Supply List:
- Pattern Required: Strata Top by Sew Liberated
- Note: if the pattern is out of stock you can purchase the PDF here: https://sewliberated.com/products/strata-top-pdf-sewing-pattern
- Please come to class with your PDF printed out and taped together.
- Swedish Tracing Paper
- Fabric required for size and length desired, pre-washed. Recommended fabrics: light- to mid-weight woven fabric with nice drape, such as cotton lawn, double gauze, or linen blend. The store sample is in Brussels Washer.
- 1 Spool Mettler Metrosene All Purpose Thread all-purpose polyester thread in color to match exterior fabric
What is a “Beginner” class at Modern Domestic? You’ve taken a class or two and are starting to get comfortable with the basics. You know what a seam allowance is, you’ve sewn a little on your own, but you still need a little help with remembering how to thread the machine and wind a bobbin. These classes usually have little if any homework to complete outside of class time. The prerequisite for any Beginner class is a Sew Basics class, Learn to Sew class, or equivalent. This skill level is not for people who have never used a sewing machine before.